Sunday, May 18, 2008

It is all just stuff...

It all started after an episode of Neat. Gary and I watched Helen help a family declutter their home in order for their boys to play in their playroom. It struck a chord. So for my birthday Gary hired a professional organizer.

I fired her after one session. Okay, so I didn't really fire her. But I did not invite her back. I know I have a problem. But having someone come into your domain and "toss, keep or donate" her way through your stuff was, for me, kind of like having the flu. I was literally sick to my stomach.

So the organizer and her label maker will not be coming back, but I do have do to something about the clutter.

clut·ter
n.
1. A confused or disordered state or collection; a jumble: sorted through the clutter in the attic.
2. A confused noise; a clatter.
v. clut·tered, clut·ter·ing, clut·ters
v.tr.
1. To fill or spread over in a disorderly manner: Boxes cluttered the garage.
2. To make disorderly or hard to use by filling or covering with objects: I cluttered up my desk with old memos.
v.intr.
1. To run or move with bustle and confusion.
2. To make a clatter.


I am a packrat. I admit it. Always have been, always will be. Hopefully this is not a trait that my kiddos will inherit. I try, I really do, to get rid of the "stuff". The problem is there is a memory attached to EVERYTHING. And now that I am a mommy, I cherish memories more than ever before.

For example, I found these shoes in a box. They are not Gabby's first pair of shoes. They were not purchased for a special event. So why would I keep them? Who knows. But I did. And now I can't seem to let go of them. When I get a chance, I will dig up a picture of Gabby wearing them... but then Gary will remind me that I have a picture of her in them, so I don't need to keep them. I really do have a problem...




Here is a craft that Gabby made one afternoon with her Daddy. Gary took her on a Daddy/Daughter date to Lilliput. The store, which is now closed, was exploding with every craft supply that one could dream of. I was so excited to see what she would come home with... Oh the smile she had when she walked through the door with her creation draped over her shoulder. She was so proud. It hung outside our back door for months. I still can't tell you what it is.

But Gabby will discover it every now and then and will throw it over her shoulder and carry it around with the same smile she had the day she came home with it. How can I throw it away? Never.




This weekend I decided to tackle the third garage. Here is all the "stuff" that was holding the walls up. And after two days of blood, sweat and tears here is what Gary drove to goodwill... It really is just stuff... isn't it?!?!

Even though the truck was full to capacity, I still have all of my treasures... they will continue to fill my home and the memories will forever fill my heart...


1 comment:

Loraine said...

I have the same problem... I treasure every little thing that Gracie or Nathan has ever made or worn...

I've been telling Donnie that if he ever wants me to get organized that we will need to move!

Congratulations on cleaning up your third garage... now it's time to go shopping!!! :-)

Great post Gin.