Wednesday, March 25, 2009

About a Tree

There is an ongoing debate in our home involving this tree.



Every few weeks Gary wants to cut it down. "It takes away from our view" is his reasoning.


But every spring this big giant becomes a welcoming home to at least one winged family.



This year is no exception.


Last week the girls and I welcomed the first day of spring by buying some new bird seed and making some bird feeders for the above tree.




Gabby had already discovered a new nest in another tree and we were all excited about providing
Mama Bird with nourishment.



Mama Dove




Two Dove Eggs


As I was adding seed to the bird feeder that Miss Sophie Cate made last year I was surprised to find a Mama Bird had taken residency. The Mama bird is a House Finch and is common in the Sonoran Desert.




Sophie's bird feeder from last year became a perfect home for the Finch family




Five Speckled Pale Blue Finch Eggs





Mama Finch



Dada Finch


The girls and I were thrilled to discover the next day that the eggs had hatched!! Here is an updated picture of our five baby Puff Ball Finches!!



Five Little Puff Baby Finches




This little one was determined to be fed. Such a big mouth for an itty bitty birdie!



Two Sleeping Baby Finches



To Be Continued...

3 comments:

Mom said...

Oh My Goddness...What amazing pictures!!!! I can see why the girls want to constantly peek in.

GARY THE TREE HAS TO STAY...

Jack has to have his chance to watch baby birdies in the Spring's to come....:)

Holly B. said...

We have house finches that nest on our porch each year. When we first encountered them, we were told that if the birds were successful nesting, hatching, and fledging in that location, that they would return to the same spot next year... and for several years, they have! In fact, we spotted a couple checking out the porch just the other day, doing a "building inspection," and they were so used to us that they perch atop the sidelight windows by the front door and peek in our house. They are now watching us as much as we watch them!

Unknown said...

Hi!
Your blog is great! I can't wait to visit often. I have the best memories of you. You seem like a wonderful mommy!
If you wonder where my family is on my blog, please know I do LOVE them! I have just used my blog as a creative type thingy that evolves all the time. Hope that makes sense.♥Jen